Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The day that you were born


August 4, 2000

It was a great day, not too hot, not too cold. Just warm.

I did not know I was in labour, I thought I had Braxton hicks, as I got a false alarm two weeks before. You still like scaring me like you did the weeks prior to your birth date.

I got up from bed that morning and went to the bathroom to take a relaxing bath. The doctor said that it helps with the contractions. I did not have a sign, but somehow I knew the EDD (estimated due date) on your first scan at 13weeks, was the right one.

After taking the bath I made sure that everything was packed and ready to go. Grandma wanted to make me breakfast but I had no appetite, which was strange as I used to pig out when I was pregnant. (No wonder you weighed 3.5kg's) Instead, I just had a cup of strong black coffee as Ouma R said that it will make the contractions stronger and in no time you would be here.

11.00am

The contractions started getting stronger, but I did not want to go to hospital just yet and I started walking up and down in my bedroom. I was so nervous, but yet so excited that I would soon get to meet you face-to-face and just hold you in my arms and kiss your forehead. I knew deep down inside that I will still get to do it the same day.
1.00pm
I could not stand the pain anymore and decided it was time to go to the hospital. We all jumped into the car and raced off to the hospital. When we got there I was taken straight to the maternity ward. The doctor then came to check how far I had dilated. I was then only 5cm's dilated. The doctor then told the nurse to put the monitor on so that they could check your heartbeat and check my contractions. I laying there on the bed for about 1/2hour then I decided I am going to start walking up and down to bring the contractions on.

The pain was starting to get more serious and eina when I went to the toilet and saw that my mucus plug had come down. I was excited as I knew time was drawing near. Grandma watched me nervously as I walked up and down.
3.30pm

The doctor came to check on us again and was very angry at mommy for taking the monitor off. By then I was 8cm's dilated. I just looked at him while he was shouting at me and up until today I still don't know what he shouted at me. I decided to lay on the bed and be a good girl, when all of a sudden I found the urge to pee. I got up and off the bed when Grandma also told me to lay down, that's when my water broke. Gushing down my legs. I decided to make a run for it and ran to the loo, but the water wouldn't stop. When it finally did (or when I thought it had) I got up and walked back to the ward while it was still running down my legs.
At that time I didn't care anymore as I was so tired and in pain. I got back to the room and got onto the bed again. The contractions were so close to each other. I felt like crying, but knew it will be worth it in the end.


4.00pm
Grandma went looking for the doc when a nurse came by to check if I was ready for labour and when she looked she saw I was 10cm's dilated. She rushed me to the labour ward and called the doctor, who came running in with Grandma.
He calmed me down and told me to lay on my back and put my hands under my thighs and push when I feel the need to. Which I did not even waiting for him to finish speaking. In three pushes you were out and I heard you crying, while the nurse calmed you down. They then handed you to Grandma who handed you to me and I can remember the joy and love I felt. I cried just looking at you and kissed you forehead, while the doctor was stitching me up.
They then took you to go and wash you and mommy got to wash as well.
They wheeled me to our room. Unfortunately we were 6 mommy's in the room. They told me to sleep a little and to eat so that when u came to visit me I could breastfeed.
I still remember it like yesterday, when I was sleeping and just heard a feint cry that grew harder and harder. I still said to myself poor baby, when the nurse walked in holding you and you were the one screaming the roof off. You were so hungry and could not wait to latch unto my nipples. I fed you and watched you fall asleep. I burped you, just before the nurse came back to fetch you.
I was so overwhelmed with joy that night that I could not sleep at all. I couldn't wait for them to bring you to me again....

My darling son I love you and always will ...
Miracle by Celine Dion
You're my life's one Miracle,
Everything I've done that's good
And you break my heart with tenderness,
And I confess it's true
I never knew a love like this till you....
You're the reason I was born
Now I finally know for sure
And I'm overwhelmed with happiness
So blessed to hold you close
The one that I love most
With all the future has so much for you in store
Who could ever love you more?
The nearest thing to heaven,
You're my angel from above
Only God creates such perfect looooove
When you smile at me, I cry
And to save your life I'll die
With a romance that is pure heart,
You are my dearest part
Whatever it requires,
I live for your desires
Forget my own, needs will come before
Who could ever love you more?
Well there is nothing you could ever do,
To make me stop, loving you
And every breath I take,
Is always for your sake
You sleep inside my dreams and know for sure
Who could ever love you more?
This song explains exactly how I feel about you.
MOMMY LOVES YOU MORE THEN ALL THE RAINDROPS IN THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD!!!!!

3 comments:

Rentia said...

Oh that is a beautiful blog post!!!

XXX

Kim said...

thanks Rentia

Nikki said...

Absolutely beautiful.

Nix

Christmas countdown